The Girl Scout Impact
Think we’re just camp, cookies, and crafts? Well, thank again! All our programs are designed with research-backed curriculum that helps girls develop five key leadership skills with everything they do:
- Develop a strong sense of self
- Display positive values
- Seek challenges
- Form healthy relationships
- Be community problem-solvers
Girls in the United States are growing up in a period of rapid demographic, social, and economic change. This state of constant change increases the challenges girls face to their health, happiness, and opportunities for success. Now more than ever, girls need Girl Scouts. Girl Scouts – the preeminent leadership development organization for girls – is a research-proven program that helps girls identify their power as a G.I.R.L. (Go-getter, Innovator, Risk-taker, Leader).
Research from the Girl Scout Research Institute (GSRI) provides compelling evidence that Girl Scouts fare better than non–Girl Scouts on a number of key measures of life success. Girls who are Girl Scouts – as well as women who were Girl Scouts for three or more years as girls – display more positive life outcomes with regard to education, financial stability (career and income), health, and leadership/civic engagement than their peers without experience as a Girl Scout.
Read more about the impact of our program.
To learn more about nationwide research projects and results, visit the Girl Scout Research Institute.
Planning for the Future
Because our organization makes such an impact on the outcome of girls in eastern Iowa and western Illinois, our council establishes strategic initiatives to ensure the opportunities and resources are available to fulfill our mission. Our council “gap teams” are working to achieve the following key priorities by 2019:
- Enhance the Girl Scout Leadership Experience – Provide consistent and impactful experiences relevant to girls that align with community needs.
- Leverage financial resources – Expand funding opportunities and ensure resources are used to make an influential impact of girls in our community.
- Strengthen our organization impression -- Create an engaging impression of Girl Scouts that resonates with families, new leaders, and emerging volunteers.
Community members who would like to support building girls of courage, confidence, and character in eastern Iowa and western Illinois can apply to serve on our board, find a volunteer opportunity, or donate online today.